Monday, April 28, 2014

DIY Milk: Goat or Cow


We have a little homestead. It's not a major one, but we have a goal to be as self-reliant as we can. So, 2 1/2 years ago we got goats. We felt like they would fit in better on our small property than a cow. They are delightful animals. They are sweet, smart, friendly and SO easy to milk. They are large dairy goats, but I can still manhandle them even with my small stature. I grew up on a farm and have been around all farm animals. I have never cared for cows. They are big and unpredictable. On more than one occasion I have had my life flash before my eyes as one came at me, sure I would be barreled over by the beast!

We have had a bad run with goats, lately. Had to put one of ours down a few weeks ago. I can't believe I actually typed those words, as I have forbidden my family to talk about it. My heart is still broken. I pretend she has gone to a new farm and she is happily living there.

I have mentioned cows before, and my husband didn't think it was a good idea, but now with the goat thing coming to a close, he has reconsidered. I have been nervous about it, because of the aforementioned aversion to the bovine species, but I am willing to give it a go. I am sharing a post from my favorite homesteader blog, The Elliott Homestead. This is HILARIOUS!  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did, and feel free to weigh in on the debate, COWS OR GOATS!?







3 comments:

  1. Aww, your babies are so cute! :D I'm thinking about getting a milking goat in the future (when I finally have my farm). Cows are cool, but it seems like they would need a lot more pasture and feed than a little goat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Goats are definitely an easy keep. You can feed 7 goats to 1 cow! Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Nikki I love your coats ..in fact I love animals and people who care them as you do.. I like also your work 'bedhead design '..lovely !!

    ReplyDelete