Sunday, August 10, 2014

DIY Daily Family Devotional--Part One



As the new school year begins, I am sharing a tradition that is near and dear to my heart--The DAILY FAMILY DEVOTIONAL.  

Each morning before school, we gather as a family around the breakfast table.  We start with a prayer, we sing a song (usually a hymn) and then get a little inspiration from the scriptures to start our day off right. I loved sending my children off to school with their minds stuffed with some positive light and a prayer with their mother.  My heart was not at peace about sending them to public school in the first place, so this helped ease my soul a bit. But in the end, I brought mine home because that was what my heart ended up whispering needed to be done. But, even though they are home schooled, we still do a devotional. This year we will be focusing on learning about our Constitution and love of our great country. (that is a blog post for another day)

So, how do you start to do a daily devotional with your family, you ask? It’s easy. I will list it out for you.

1.       KEEP IT SHORT AND SIMPLE.  If your children are young, or if you haven’t done anything like this before, then keep it to about 5 minutes. That is plenty of time to give a good dose of wisdom and light. As you get used to things, you can make it longer as you feel the need. (ours are about 15 min)

2.       Start with a prayer. If you haven’t prayed out loud with your family before, start today. It, again, should be short and simple.  Just start by addressing God. Then, thank Him for your blessings. Last, Ask him for what you need.  Then close with an Amen. Get personal. Tell Heavenly Father any specific troubles you are having. Ask him to bless the children individually. Ask for protection, courage and strength for the children as they are away from home. Having a family prayer is a most holy event. Your family will feel a special power and closeness. You will all crave this time together! You have heard the saying, “The family that prays together, stays together”, and it is very true.

3.       Read from your favorite book of Scripture or an inspirational book or magazine. You can start from the beginning of the book and go straight through and discuss what you read each day, or you can just find subjects or stories you want to share with your family and teach them about that.  You can do it yourself each day or you could get your children involved. Mine read scripture/religious magazines on their own, too, so I assign a day of the week to each one and they are in charge of the lesson that day. I expect them to share the story, what we can learn from it, and why they liked it and wanted to share it. 

4.       If you have time, or want to add a little something extra, (or don't have time one day to do the whole regimen) find a good video clip to add to your devotional. My church puts out these really powerful, videos about scripture stories or making good choices and being a good person. They are online here. They are so well made, they are AMAZING! I’m so happy we live in an age that we have these conveniences at our fingertips!

If you decide to start this in your family, I know you will feel a new closeness. I know you will feel at peace sending your children out into the world because you have sent them with a piece of light and love from your heart each morning. It will provide a shield for them, and it will give you a peaceful mind.  Let me know how it goes in your family. I would love to hear from you! 

Check out my other posts on teaching your kids: here and here.

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful ritual my friend...thank you for the tips and for sharing with Twirl and Take a Bow ~ xo

    ReplyDelete