Sunday, August 24, 2014

Homemade Asphalt Pie (aka Grasshopper Pie)

Asphalt Pie is one of my all time favorite treats. I can eat it any time of the year! My family loves it, too, so there is usually at least one request for it as a birthday cake. It's so fast and easy to whip up.
Here is what you do...

1 carton (the regular size used to be 2 quarts, but it's like 1.5 now) of your favorite Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream
22-26 Oreo cookies,  crushed (you know I always do 26. and then, I just eat the Oreo-y, buttery goodness. this is how I would prefer to eat Oreos--steeped in butter! haha!)
1/3 cup melted butter
Caramel ice cream topping
Chocolate syrup
Whipped cream, (sweetened) you can make your own, but I actually like to use the squirty kind as long as it's real whipped cream. I like how it comes out light and fluffy. And it's fun.

So, crush your Oreos and mix them with the butter. Then put them into a pie plate. (I like a 10 inch pie plate, but any size is fine) Be sure and get the crumbs up the sides and do it fairly thick. If it's too thin, it doesn't hold up well when you scoop it out of the pan to serve. Reserve about 1/3 cup for the top to make it look nice.  After you get the crust into the pan, put it in the freezer til it's hardened. After the crust is hardened, take the ice cream out of the freezer and let it soften a bit, take the crust back out of the freezer. Then get a metal spatula and scoop it out of carton and cram it into the Oreo crust. Sprinkle the reserved crumbs onto the top of the ice cream. Stick it back into the freezer for an hour or so til ready to serve.

Take out the pie and cut into serving slices. Add whipped cream to top and then drizzle with caramel and chocolate.  Serve!  It is always a hit!!!

11 comments:

  1. Sounds absolutely delicious. Can't wait to make it. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this looks decadently rich and tasty. I might have to give this recipe a go. Great blog site :)
    Blessings,
    Shari

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so yummy!!! #HomeMattersParty

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, this looks amazing!! Thanks for linking up at the Best of the Blogosphere Linky Party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Thanks for sharing it with us at the #HomeMattersParty this week. We hope you will link up again next Friday.
    ~Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nikki,

    This looks so delish! I don't blame your family for requesting it for their birthday cake! Yummy!

    Much love,

    Lysa xx
    Welcome to My Circus
    Co-Host OMHGWW

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy!! And REAL whipped cream..Oh My!! It would be wonderful if you would share your favorite posts at my Friday Favorites Link Party. It goes live at 7 PM every Thursday. I hope to see you there...Hugs – Christine

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nikki,

    Thanks for sharing on Friday Features, this looks amazing I would have requested it as well!!! A great birthday treat or anytime you need a great dessert to share.

    Have a great weekend, Karren

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love mint and chocolate! And this looks just scrumptious! Thanks for linking up with me for Friday Favorites. I'm featuring you this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for dropping by, and for the feature!!

      Delete
  10. Amazing grasshopper pie, thanks for sharing this on Fabulous Friday
    Stop by this week and share another post.
    Thanks
    Maria

    ReplyDelete