Monday, December 1, 2014

The Secret Elf Project



In my husband's family, they did something called 'The Secret Elf'. They started at some point in December, and would do it til Christmas. We have continued this tradition with our kids, and we love it. Here is what you do:

First, have everyone write their names on little slips of paper, and put them in a container. Have everyone draw out a name, making sure they don't get their own! Haha.

Each day, you do some kind of little act of service for your person. You must try your best to keep it a secret! It's so fun. I love the sneaking around and giggles I hear, as people are doing their good deeds. When the kids were littler, my hubby and I had to help quite a bit. Now that they are older, they do a fine job of thinking up their own! There are chores done, notes on pillows of 'I love you' or a compliment, pictures drawn, and I have even seen cash! I also keep a little bowl of Christmas candy on the counter and we use that, too. One year, I had Chris, my husband.  I didn't want him to know it was me, so I kept having different kids write my notes (I kept them generic, so they couldn't guess, either). I had him fooled the whole time. See, it's even fun for the grown ups!

We choose a present to give our secret person in order to reveal our identities on Christmas morning. Some years we buy something, a few years we have made things for each other. Those are my very favorite years!

All in all, it is a wonderful time. It brings a sweet spirit into our home. Just now, my husband went in our room and found a note and candy on his pillow from his secret elf. I know who it is, and she happened to be walking through the kitchen when he found it and yelled, "I got something from my Secret Elf!" She grinned so big! My heart is bursting. This project will teach your kids about offering loving service. The kids talk about it all year long, and say how they can't wait til it's Secret Elf time again. They love the getting, but they also love the giving!

Good luck. I would love to hear how your 'Secret Elf Project' is going this year. Leave me a comment here or on Instagram or Facebook. Find me under Bedhead Designs. Merry Christmas!

For more ideas for family traditions, go here.

1 comment:

  1. These are the kind of ideas that mean so much more than just going out and shopping just to buy something. Thank you for sharing on The Oh My Heartsie Girls WW this week!!!
    Have a great week!!!

    ReplyDelete