Friday, January 23, 2015

Food Friday--Apple Cinnamon Waffles

Here is a great recipe for your weekend! It's from my Pillsbury Cookbook.  I bought it at a yard sale when I was first married, and I could hardly hard boil an egg!  It is a trusty book, and I have never been steered wrong by it. These are sooo good!  Everyone loves them and they have apples sneaked in them!  (And no one will ever know...unless your tall 14 year old can see over the top of you as you are quickly grating the apples into the bowl and yells, "Why are you putting apples in the waffles?"  Then you will be very irritated that your plan was thwarted and have to explain to every one, separately, why you are putting apples in perfectly good waffles.  Hahaha. Does that ever happen at your house???

 2 eggs, separated (Note: I don't beat my eggs whites. I don't have time for that! ;) They are always wonderful. So, if you don't like beating egg whites, never fear! Just throw the whole egg in and proceed)
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups all purpose flour, I use whole wheat
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted, or oil
1 peeled shredded apple
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat waffle iron. Place egg yolks in large bowl; whites in small bowl.  To yolks add buttermilk; beat well.  Add flour, baking powder, soda, and salt; beat until smooth.  Stir in melted margarine. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; fold into batter.  Bake in hot waffle iron until steaming stops and waffle is golden brown.  (If you have a little waffle iron, use about 1/4 cup batter) Serve with syrup of your choice.  I like real maple and you only need a little bit! I also like adding bananas to the top. My kids swear by peanut butter and syrup.

2 comments:

  1. Hello cute lady! I'm loving it. Pinned and tweeted. Thank you so much for partying with us. I hope to see you tonight at 7 pm. We love to party with you! Happy Monday! Lou Lou Girls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love waffles! You made me hungry now :) Thank you for sharing with OMHG Wordless Wednesday link party. Have a great week - co-host Evija @Fromevijawithlove xxx

    ReplyDelete