Monday, January 5, 2015

Lentils with Ham





I have been making this for years. I look forward to this after Christmas and Easter using the ham bone! The children eat it well. It is from the back of the Albertson's brand lentil bag. Simple and delicious. I double this recipe for my family of 6 and we eat it for 2 dinners. It is perfect with homemade cornbread or my crusty artisan bread.

1/2 lb lentils
4 cups water
1 ham hock or meaty ham bone
1 Bay leaf
1/3 cup chopped onion (I always add lots more veggies than this calls for.)
1/3 cup chopped carrot
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/2 t salt
1 small garlic clove, minced

Wash, sort and drain lentils. Combine all ingredients in large pot with tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer covered until tender. Approx 45 minutes. Stir occasionally. I make this in the crockpot, too, and cook it for about 4-5 hours.

Before serving, remove ham hock or bone. Cut ham off bone, dice. Add to soup and serve. 8-10 servings.

 <a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/13267505/?claim=qm9pbnz2xfu">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>

No comments:

Post a Comment