Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Southwestern Black Bean Soup

Here is the best black bean soup I have ever eaten! I got this recipe from my sister-in-law when I was first married. It is still a quick, easy, simple staple. Today when I made it, I was missing one of the ingredients, so I substituted, and I think I like it even better! I will give the original recipe, then share my changes.

3 15 oz cans black beans, rinse and drained

Put beans in a large pot and cover with water by an inch. Bring to a boil and cook on low for 30 mins.

Meanwhile, make sofrito:
1/2 c olive oil
4 large cloves garlic, chopped
1 large onion, chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped fine
1 T cumin, ground
2 T red wine vinegar
1 t finely chopped, seeded jalapeno OR 1 4 oz can diced green chilies

Saute above ingredients, and then add to the beans after the 30 minutes. Add Sofrito and simmer an hour. 

Cook rice as desired. (I usually do 4 cups water, 2 cups rice, 1/2 salt, simmer 15 minutes or til tender)

Serve over cooked rice and top with Monterrey Jack cheese, and/or salsa.

My alternative recipe:

Omit green peppers. Add 2 cans diced green chilies and 2 chopped fresh jalapenos. Add 1 Chipotle pepper and about 2 T of the Adobo sauce. (you can do it to taste.) This will be spicier than the original! It was so good! Only my 5 year old thought it was too hot. Saute in the Sofrito as above.

2 comments: