Wednesday, March 4, 2015

St. Patrick's Day Gone Awry

 Have you ever wanted to be the 'cool holiday mom'? You know the one. The mom who decorates for every holiday, and has a full themed meal to go along with said holiday? Me too. Only my deluded escapades at being the 'cool holiday mom' always run amok. So it was with St.Patrick's Day 2005. My boys were 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. I had our little place decorated. I had the meal planned: spinach fettuccine with Alfredo sauce, green beans, green jello for dessert. Oh, it was perfect! I knew the boys would love it! Who wouldn't, right? Well, we sat down at the table and I served up. Immediately, noses turned up at the green noodles! (And let me interject, I do NOT have picky eaters. These boys ate pretty much whatever I placed in front of them.) There was serious fussing going on. The beans were fine. They were used to those. Then, my darling husband had the brilliant idea to add green food coloring to the milk. I protested because you have to draw the line somewhere, and that is just gross. But, he insisted it would complete the 'experience'. Oh, it certainly did! We didn't know we had a gagger in the family til that night. He took one sip of that putrid green milk and gagged! It was all over. He didn't throw up, but he was so traumatized by it, he refused to eat another bite. Little brother followed suit. We did manage to eat the green jello, but the fun was ruined.

It has been 10 years since that fateful night, and I still hear about it from time to time. "Remember when Mom tried to make us eat all the green food on St. Patrick's Day? The green noodles! The green milk! (I get blamed for that even though it was their father's idea! Typical!) The gagging! Oh, the horror! Needless to say, I do not make green meals anymore. The closest I will come is my Asphalt Pie recipe that I call Shamrock pie on St. Patty's Day. We are all happy enough with that.

Have you had any recipe/holiday flops? I would love to hear them! Comment below.

1 comment: