Monday, October 12, 2015

Pumpkin Custard

I tried my hand at making my own pumpkin pack! It was pretty easy, and it tastes really good! I have been making pumpkin recipes to use it up! I found this custard recipe on Taste of Home. I tweaked it because I wanted to make a larger amount. My pumpkin pack is quite mild, too, so I didn't want to overpower it with too much sugar and spice. I might need to change it when I go back to store bought pumpkin.  I will have to see... If you want to make it the original way, click the link above. 

Ingredients
  • 1 large can solid-pack pumpkin (I used my homemade and it was 3 1/2 cups)
  •  4 eggs
  •  2 cups half-and-half cream
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • TOPPING:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Whipped cream, optional (I think whipped cream should be mandatory! Ha!) 

    Directions
  • 1. In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients; beat until smooth. Pour into 9x13 pan.
  • 2. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes.
  • 3. For topping, combine the brown sugar, pecans and butter. Sprinkle over custard. Bake 20-30 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm or chilled; top with whipped cream. Store in the refrigerator. 

1 comment:

  1. Looks so yummy! And not as hard as I expected!

    ReplyDelete